2016 AEP Forum
7th Annual Abdelkader Education Project (AEP) Forum
A Beacon of Hope: Emir Abdelkader
Yesterday’s Muslim Hero Matters Today
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 24, 2016 (9:00-3:00pm)
Location: Cedar Rapids Public Library, 450 5th Ave SE, Cedar Rapids, Iowa USA
9:00-1:00pm – SEMINARS AND NETWORK LUNCH (pre-registration required)
8:15-9:00am Registration & Refreshments
9:00-9:30am Welcome & Introductions
9:30-11:00am ABDELKADER: A Model for Global Education & Outreach – Concurrent Seminars
Track #1 – Global Education: Teaching Tolerance, Civility, and Understanding
Examine new educational tools, methods, curriculum, and decision-based case studies designed for the classroom to inspire students, engage educators, and all who are interested. Discover how Emir Abdelkader’s life story of ethical leadership, civility, and understanding transcends culture and faith traditions to enhance global education for today.
- Marcia Powell/Karla Duff – AEP Curriculum: Tolerance & Acceptance and more – grades 5-12, IA
- Tamar Miller, Consultant – Harvard Pluralism Project Case Study: Ethical Leadership – high school/college, MA
- Ameena Jandali – Islamic Networks Group: Abdelkader Curriculum – high school/college, CA
- Kathy Garms – Abdelkader Global Leadership Prize Essay Contests – high school/college, IA
- Mark Rhodes – Decorah High School History Teacher & Abdelkader Essay Advocate, IA
Track #2 – Outreach: The Human Face of Islam – Emir Abdelkader
Explore cultural expectations, perspectives, and strategies that promote healthy diversity in the work place. Distinguished guests will address Abdelkader’s values that inspire relevant and important dialog for building respect and understanding in a civil society. It is designed for people in business, human resources, government, law enforcement, faith-based organizations, plus curious, engaged citizens.
- John W. Kiser – AEP co-founder, author of Commander of the Faithful: The Life and Times of Emir Abdelkader and The Monks of Tibhirine; Chairman, William & Mary Greve Foundation; former int’l technology broker – VA
- Raphael Danziger, Ph.D. – Senior Research Advisor for American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC); author of Abd Al Qadir and the Algerians (Princeton University Ph.D. research topic) – DC
- Mark Danner – National security analyst and international consultant on Middle East and Islamic Affairs; Founder, The Meeting Point International; co-founder, Locus Strategic Insights – DC
11:00-11:45am MORNING REVIEW – CIVIL SOCIETY AND A PLURAL AMERICA
Participants of morning seminars will gather to recap discussions and open Q&A with presenters.
Noon-1:00pm NETWORK LUNCH ON-SITE (pre-registration required)
1:00-3:00pm – AEP FORUM – PROGRAM & AWARDS CEREMONY
JOIN IN CELEBRATING AND HONORING the Abdelkader Global Leadership Prize essay contest winners. College and high school students will be awarded prizes and share what they discovered about Abdelkader’s life story and its impact on their own lives. A cross-section of inspiring voices of all ages from across the U.S. and beyond will also recall Emir Abdelkader’s legacy with significance for today’s global society. Discussions and networking opportunities follow the program. Details to follow.
SATURDAY POST-AEP FORUM OPTIONS
Mother Mosque Tour (4-5:00pm)
Post-AEP Forum Dinner (5:30-7:30pm)
SUNDAY EXTRA – SEPTEMBER 25 – VISIT ELKADER!
Just 90 minutes north of Cedar Rapids on Hwy 13. A group tour is being arranged, please indicate on the registration form if you would like to participate. You are also encouraged to explore Elkader anytime on your own, it is charming in every season! Details TBA.