The Abdelkader Education Project (AEP) has commissioned curricula for use
in schools, universities, civic and military organizations
1. Five Abdelkader lesson plans with digital presentations by Islamic Network Group created Emir Abdelkader: A Muslim Hero for our Time including lesson analyses, discussion, test questions, link to films with accompanying discussion guide.
2. Four Case Studies by Harvard Pluralism Project
"In the Shadow of the Sword/Rumors in Damascus: Emir Abdelkader and Ethical Leadership," a historical case study; plus three contemporary stories that serve as Abdelkader companion cases, featuring themes and protagonists in Iowa, such as America’s Mother Mosque in Cedar Rapids:
3. DBQ (Document-Based Questions)
Embodying the Nation: George Washington, Abdelkader, and Gandhi
4. Five short biographies that exemplify the spirit of Abdelkader:
Four biographies, from One Islam, Many Muslim Worlds, by Raymond William Baker (Oxford, 2015), adapted by Joseph Montville: Bediuzzaman Said Nursi (d. 1960); Muhammad Abduh (d. 1905); Muhammad al-Ghazzali (d. 1996); and Ali Shariati (d. 1977); and Rais Buhiyan’s story of forgiveness, an episode of the "Secret Life of Muslims" Series by Seftel Productions.
Curricula in Development
1. Foundations of a Civil Society: Exploring Cultural and Religious Diversity
(C3) Curricula by Iowa teachers Marcia Powell and Karla Duff utilizing Inquiry Design Model(IDM)TM, including tasks sources, and assessments.
2. Abdelkader Stage Project by T. Gregory Argall
Theater vignettes on Abdelkader’s life and times.
Abdelkader Prizes / Grants
1. Global Leadership Scholarships
2018 is the tenth year that the Abdelkader Education Project is hosting essay contests for both high school and college students from across the United States. Students immerse themselves in narratives of the life and times of Abdelkader, and make connections to their own lives. This year, AEP is holding a poster contest as well. Learn more and sign-up:
The essay and poster contest winners are invited to participate in the ANNUAL ABDELKADER FORUM, to receive their awards.
Contact Kathy Garms, Co-Founder Abdelkader Education Project email@example.com
2. CURRICULUM GRANTS
In partnership with Center for Study of Jewish-Christian-Muslim Relations, Merrimack College
Bi-annual faculty and professional grants for course development in at least one of the three Abrahamic faiths.